Remember “Dollar” Bill Ketron and his plan to set up a Tennessee state currency? [Tennessean, March 1]
How about the Tennessee GOP’s new spokesman? Disgraced actor Charlie Sheen, a known abuser of drugs and women. [Nashville Scene, April 29]
Welcome to Crazytown.
Since the beginning of the year, Republican politicians have made no secret of their plans to hand over our state and our democracy to big corporations while sending working- and middle-class families down the Tennessee River.
Sadly, you could overlook the extreme agenda and Tennessee’s Republican politicians would still give you plenty of reasons to scratch your head.
From desk carvers and communist lovers to lunch dates with radical governors and allegations of political corruption, the Tennessee GOP has got it all:
- GOPer Speaker Beth Harwell giddy for radical Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Walker attacked the rights of Wisconsin workers and families, passed an undemocratic voter ID bill, and gave tax breaks to the rich and big corporations. Considering Beth Harwell accomplished many of the same things, no wonder, in a tweet, she called him “one of our best Republican governors.” [Beth Harwell Twitter, June 29]
- Tennessee GOP gaga for Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels at big, corporate fundraiser. How do you get Tennessee Republicans to fawn over you? Write a budget plan that crashes the U.S. economy, voice your strong support of privatizing Social Security and slash millions in funding for public schools. Naturally, Republican lawmakers lauded Daniels’ destructive record at a high-dollar fundraiser last week. [TN Report, May 18]
- State representatives caught in TBI investigation with naughty nurses. The Kingsport Times News reported three suspended nurse practitioners accused of contributing to two patients’ deaths somehow got their licenses restored. State Rep. Tony Shipley told the paper, he’s the “rascal behind the scenes that made it happen.” [WPLN, July 20]
- Desk-carving GOPer grabs national headlines. Back in Nashville, state Rep. Julia Hurley carved her initials in her desk on the floor of the state House. She said she was bored during a late session and said, “I wasn’t thinking straight.” Unfortunately, her voting record against teachers and Tennessee families showed us that all year. [News Sentinel, July 11]
- Out-of-touch Obion County Republican praises communist China’s government-run economy within a day of 1,900 factory workers in his hometown losing their jobs through no fault of their own. Rep. Bill Sanderson, on a trip to China, marveled at the “smooth and efficient” Chinese government. Impressed by the government-run economy, the Republican said China has “taken what we do and are now doing it better.” Yes, Mr. Sanderson, the Chinese are taking what we are doing, like the 1,900 jobs at the Goodyear plant in Union City. But Mr. Sanderson, they will never do it better than Americans. [Bill Sanderson Blog, July 11]
Republican politicians may be proud of their party’s scandals, embarrassing gaffes and out-of-touch policies, but Tennesseans aren’t laughing.
We are looking to add 100 new grassroots donors for the month of July. Click here to help today with a gift of $5 and show your support for returning to common sense and effective leadership in Tennessee.
It’s time to shutdown Crazytown. With your help, we can do it.
Thanks for all you do,
Chairman, Tennessee Democratic Party